The Frequently Asked Questions

There are so many schools and Colleges in Nepal. How do I decide which schools and colleges to apply to?

Research your options and define your priorities. Contact the Hamro Colleges advising center in our websites and browse colleges list. Check to see if the schools and colleges you are considering are accredited.

What’s the difference between a college and a university?

Colleges offer only undergraduate degrees while universities offer graduate degrees as well, but the terms are often used interchangeably.

Are there age limitations to attend the universities?

In general, you must have completed high school and you must be at least 17 years of age.

What is the difference between "Undergraduate" and "Graduate" degrees?

Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?

Associate: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a bachelor program. Bachelor: a three or four -year program.

What are the different types of graduate degrees?

Masters: Two-year to three years degree providing additional specialization.

Doctorate: Five to eight-year program certifying the student as a trained research scholar and/or professor.

What is the difference between online studies and distance studies?

Essentially there is no difference.

What is distance education?

Distance education occurs when a student and an instructor are in different places. Learning occurs by mail, telephone, internet, or by other means.

How can I find out which universities are rated best for a specific academic major?

Refer to college and university guides to find which institutions are known for excellence in different fields of study.

Do students have to study a fixed set of subjects or can they individually form their major?

It depends: Some degree programs are highly structured. Bachelors’ degrees are very flexible and sometimes allow you to create your own program.

When do you declare a major?

You do not declare a major until the end of you second year of school.

What is a liberal arts college?

A liberal arts college offers courses in humanities, languages, math, social and natural sciences, and students take 25-50% of their courses in their major.

What are the benefits of a liberal arts education?

A liberal arts college offers a smaller setting and teaches critical thinking and communication skills necessary in an ever-changing job market.

What is a GPA?

Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student’s academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0.

How are grades determined in Colleges and Universities?

Grades are typically determined by quizzes, midterms, final exams, papers, projects, class attendance, and class participation.

What is the difference between state and private universities?

State universities are funded by the state and are generally larger and less expensive than private universities.

Besides teaching, what other programs exist in the field of education?

There are many additional opportunities to make a difference in the field of education! We prepare our students to meet the demanding needs of a constantly changing society and to excel in a variety of roles, such as:

• School leaders
• Policy experts
• Academic administrators
• Physical activity programmers
• Health, fitness, and disease-prevention advocates
• Curriculum specialists
• Assessment designers
• Educational researchers

If you are interested in joining our esteemed community of learners, you can begin learning more about our variety of degree and certification options here.

I have more questions. Where can I find answers?

You can look at Hamro Colleges documentation or feel free to join our community and post your questions on our dedicated support forum.

Get Started Now.

Jump start your finding your desired Colleges and Universities today with Hamro Colleges.